In the last few years the gut has emerged as a surprise headline-hogger, reportedly holding the key to everything from weight loss to happiness. While we wouldn’t believe everything we read in the news, we would believe a dietitian. Lo and behold, dietitian Dr Megan Rossi has written a new book. Eat Yourself Healthy is published this week and goes into great depth explaining what we do know about the gut and how it has a far greater impact on you and your health than you might expect.
The book also includes plenty of science-backed strategies for identifying and trying to solve or ease the gut problems a lot of us struggle with, like bloating or IBS. But it also has some straightforward advice for making your diet more gut-friendly – spoilers: eat the widest possible range of vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds – as well as recipes to help broaden the dietary fibre you’re sending to your gut to keep the microbes there happy.
This miso aubergine recipe will also keep your tastebuds happy, since it spotlights some of the best ways to make veg extra flavourful – charring, roasting, marinating and topping everything off with a dressing – so you can look forward to varying your diet rather than resenting the limp, overboiled portion of broccoli taking up space on your plate.
Chargrilled Miso Aubergine With Sweet Potato Wedges (Serves 2)
- 1 large aubergine, cut into four lengthways
- 1 large sweet potato (approx 300g), cut into thin wedges
- 150g cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil
For the marinade
- 1½tbsp miso paste
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2tsp sesame oil
- ½ a Medjool date, stirred into a paste with 1tbsp hot water
For the tahini dressing
- 1tbsp tahini
- 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- ½ a garlic clove, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas mark 5.
- Place an oiled griddle pan on a high heat and chargrill the aubergine slices for two minutes on each side, or until brown char lines are formed.
- Place the miso marinade ingredients in a small bowl with 1tbsp water and combine.
- Place the tahini dressing ingredients into another small bowl with 1tbsp of water and combine.
- Transfer the aubergine to an oven tray lined with baking paper and pour over the miso marinade. Using your hands, massage the marinade into the flesh, then bake in the oven for ten minutes.
- Place the sweet potato wedges in a microwave-safe dish with a little water in the bottom, put the lid on and cook on high for four minutes to soften.
- Pat the wedges dry, then toss them and the tomatoes in 2tsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the wedges and tomatoes to the tray with the aubergine and cook for a further 15-20 minutes, or until the wedges are crisp on the outside.
- Serve the aubergine, wedges and tomatoes with rocket or other leaves. Drizzle over the tahini dressing.
Buy Eat Yourself Healthy on Amazon | £16.99 (currently reduced to £12.96)