Walk with intent—and intensity
Monkey Business Images/Shutterstock
Burn more calories in the same amount of time with these strategies:
1. Swing your arms when you walk. You’ll burn 5 to 10 per cent more calories.
2. Wear a weighted vest – another great way to burn calories. But leave the hand and ankle weights at home. They throw you off balance and could result in injury.
3. Walk on grass, sand or a gravel path instead of the road. It takes more muscle power to glide smoothly over these uneven surfaces (especially sand) than over asphalt.
4. Use walking poles. A U.S. study found that you get a much more intense workout than you would without the poles.
5. Walk along the shore of a river or lake with your ankles in the water. The resistance burns more calories and gives your muscles an added workout.
Increase the protein in your diet
There is some evidence that if you increase your protein intake to the upper end of the recommended range (roughly 20 per cent of overall calories), the amount of energy you expend at rest will remain the same even while you’re losing weight. Normally, as you lose weight, your body adjusts and you burn fewer calories at rest. Try these other 12 tips for getting the metabolism of a 25-year-old.
Don’t skip out on a post-workout snack
Chowing down on a snack after the gym doesn’t just refuel your body, it may boost your fat burn too. A small study showed that middle-aged exercisers who drank a 270-calorie shake filled with 24 grams of protein and 36 grams of carbs after a strength and endurance training session lost about four pounds more fat and created one and a half pounds of more lean muscle in six months than exercisers who didn’t drink the shake.
This research reconfirms that giving your body extra protein and carbs following an exercise session can help build lean tissue and promote fat loss. Experts believe that muscle proteins are made faster when protein is consumed after exercise, which means that your muscles will grow over time.
The perfect balance of proteins and carbs could be a simple snack such as a banana with peanut butter or a couple slices of turkey and cheese with apple slices.